As you have probably gathered we have some additional expenses this year at the start of the season. Strites Donuts has generously agreed to assist us with one of our fundraisers. Order forms will be available at practices for presales. Fiona will be collecting forms and money through June 12 and donuts will be delivered on picture night June 17 . If you have any questions contact Fiona Albertson 421-0212
You are invite to sign up for “Shark Registration for Summer 2015.” Please click on the link below to view the online sign up sheet. There is a $5 fee to process credit card charges.
To sign up, go to:
We are pleased to announce our new Head Coach, Sarah Humphreys, for our upcoming Shark season. Sarah is a graduate of James Madison University (2014) and has a BS in Interdisciplinary Liberal Studies with Minors in Middle School Education and Educational Technology. She has been involved with swimming since she was six years old and has been coaching for the last several years. Sarah was on both JMU and CNU Club Swim Teams and is currently involved in the Harrisonburg Masters Swim Team. Please join me in welcoming her to our team. Sarah will be at our sign-ups â€“ first one is May 3rd at the Broadway Community Center from 2-4pm. We are looking forward to a great summer!
BROADWAY SHARKS 2015
Itâ€™s that time again! Time to get geared up for the Broadway Sharks Summer League swim season; please read
through the following information to help you get ready for the 2015 Shark Season!
Please utilize the website to receive updates and review calendar: www.bwaysharks.com
Last day to sign up for Sharks is June 15th
Must be able to swim the length of the pool to continue
Head Coach: We are currently accepting applications (TBD)
Registration Dates: Sunday, May 3rd at the Community Center from 2-4pm
Saturday, May 23rd at the Broadway Park Fun day from 10-1pm
May 26th -June 15th
Monday through Friday
7:10â€“ 8:00 pm 10 & under swimmers
8:00 â€“ 9:00 pm 11 & over swimmers
AM practices start June 8th
Monday through Friday
8:45 â€“ 9:30 am 10 & under swimmers
9:30 â€“ 10:30 am 11 & over swimmers
Beginning June 15th
Evening practices stay the same with the exception of Tuesday night meets
Morning practices are Monday, Thursday and Friday
Practice Cancelled Notification: We will do our best to notify you of practice cancellations as early as possible.
Cancellations will be announced as an e-mail and/or website. If you would like to be notified via text, please e-mail
your information to Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last day to sign up for the first meet is June 11th
The Book â€“ please sign out your swimmer by Thursday night of each week
Contact coach after Friday deadline if something changes
Swim Meet event information will be posted on Sunday/Monday prior to meet via e-mail and website
Swim Suits: Please purchase your swim suits early in order to receive it in time for the first meet. The link to the
swim suit company is located on our website. We will do a swim suit swap the first week of practice.
Volunteers: see additional info below
Concessions â€“ contact Julie Jones email@example.com
Timers, Runners, Stroke & Turn – contact Beth Arnold firstname.lastname@example.org
Order due June 19th by morning practice
Check the website for order form
2015 T-shirt designs are due June 15th; vote following week and orders due the 19th by morning practice.
Pictures: Pictures at the pool on June 17th â€“ individuals at 6pm and team at 7pm (rain date June ?)
Awards / Milestones: Awards will be given for those swimmers who are in their 2nd, 5th and 10th year with the
Sharks (If your child has hit one of these milestones, please email Fiona at email@example.com so the award can
be ordered â€“ information due no later than June 19th). Please put â€śShark Awardsâ€ť in the subject line.
Good Luck Pot Luck Dinner: July 23rd at the Broadway High School Commons at 6:15pm
July 25th at Godwin Hall on JMUâ€™s campus
Swimmers must have participated in two meets in order to swim at Champs
We are in charge of clean up at Champs
Heat Sheet Ads
FEE SCHEDULE: 1st swimmer $ 60.00
2nd swimmer $ 55.00
3rd swimmer & additional $ 45.00
When registering, please note that you will need to bring exact change or a check made payable to â€śBroadway
Sharksâ€ť (sorry, we wonâ€™t have change available at signups.)
BOARD MEMBERS: Below is a list of the current Board Members along with their email addresses. We are
always open for comments and suggestions, so feel free to contact us:
Fiona Albertson firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Armentrout email@example.com
Sharon Armentrout Armentrout.Sharon@va.sysco.com
Paula Branner firstname.lastname@example.org
Darcy Bacon email@example.com
Beth Arnold firstname.lastname@example.org
Julie Jones email@example.com
Sunday, May 3rd 2 â€“ 4 pm 1st Day to Sign Up! Ice Cream Social
Broadway Community Center
Saturday, May 23rd 10 â€“ 1 pm 2nd Day to Sign Up! During â€śFun Day in the Parkâ€ť
Broadway Community Park
Tuesday, May 26th See info above First practice of the season
Tuesday, June 2nd 7:30 â€“ 8 pm Parent meeting at Broadway Community Center
Thursday, June 11th Last day to sign up to participate in the 1st Meet
Monday, June 15th T-shirt designs due
Monday, June 15th Last day to sign up to participate for the season
Tuesday, June 16th 6 PM 1st Meet HOME â€“ Spotswood CC
Wednesday, June 17th 6 PM Pictures â€“ at the pool (Individuals @ 6 â€“ Team @ 7)
Thursday, June ? 6 PM Team Pictures â€“ Rain Date â€“ at the pool
Friday, June 19th AM practice â€śSharks Gearâ€ť orders due, Team t-shirt order due
Friday, June 19th See info above Info for Shark awards due
Tuesday, June 23rd 6 PM 2nd Meet AWAY at Massanutten
Tuesday, June 30th 6 PM 3rd Meet AWAY at Ashby
Tuesday, July 7th 6 PM 4th Meet AWA at ERRA
Tuesday, July 14th 6 PM 5th Meet HOME – Westover
Thursday, July 23rd 6:15 PM Good Luck Pot Luck Dinner – Broadway High School Commons
Saturday, July 25th Valley Swim League Championship Meet
Godwin Hall â€“ JMU
SIGN UPS: Please note that if you have not signed your child up by June 11th; they will not be able to swim in the
first meet. The absolute LAST DAY for sign ups will be June 15th. As soon as we have a roster, we will post it on
the bulletin board at the pool â€“ please make sure that your childâ€™s name is on the roster and let us know if it is does
VOLUNTEERS: As with every other sport, the Sharks need volunteers. Positions range from timer to
concessions to runners to stroke & turn judges. If you have any interest in any volunteer position, please
contact Sharon Armentrout (271-1389, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Beth Arnold email@example.com â€“
there will also be sign up sheets at Fun Day and the Ice Cream Social.
CONCESSIONS: At each of our home meets, we will provide concessions. This is an excellent fund raising
opportunity for us and keeps the cost of our program to a minimum. This year we will need parent volunteers to
cook/serve during the meets, and we are hoping to get LOTS of volunteers â€“ the more folks we have helping out,
the less time each will need to work! Also, we will need some food to be donated by parents â€“ the more donations -
the more money we have for the kids! We will need the following donations for home meets:
Drinks: Gatorade (20 oz.), Water (16 oz.), Coke Products (cans)
We are well-known for our Taco Salad (my personal favorite!) and we will need the following items donated in order
to keep providing it on the menu:
30 pounds of ground beef.
2 – 70 oz containers of Salsa (available at Costco)
1 5 pound bag shredded cheddar cheese (available at Costco)
10 large bags nacho chips
2 – #10 cans (1 gallon) cheddar cheese sauce
Taco seasoning (store brand is fine)
3 bags of salad mix (available at Costco)
Please contact Julie Jones firstname.lastname@example.org to let them know what you are willing to donate. Sign up
sheets for concession donations will also be available at Fun Day and the Ice Cream Social.
MISSING A MEET: Please notify our coaches by using â€śThe Bookâ€ť to sign out your swimmer from a meet. This
book will be at all practices. Please make a note of any meets that your child will miss by the preceding Thursday of
the meet â€“ that will allow time to put meet entries together by the following Monday. Donâ€™t forget â€“ in order to
swim in the Championship Meet on July 25th, each swimmer must participate in at least 2 regular season
CHAMPS: The VSL Championship Meet will be held this year at Godwin Hall on JMUâ€™s campus, and the Sharks
are responsible for clean up after the meet.
HEAT SHEET ADS: As a team, we are responsible for providing advertisements to put into the Heat Sheet. This is
a great way to advertise your business or just wish your swimmer GOOD LUCK. Ads and payments must be turned
in to Sharon by mid July, but itâ€™s never too early â€“ check with local businesses to see if they would be willing to
sponsor an ad. See attached for sizes and cost.
EMAIL ADDRESS: We will be providing information during the season via e-mail and the website. Please be sure
to have your e-mail updated at registration or contact Sharon at 271-1389 (email@example.com)
FACEBOOK PAGE: Please go and join the group and then add your Facebook friends that are also members of
the Sharks. Here is the link for the Sharks Facebook page, this is a closed group:
Head Swim Coach – Broadway Sharks – Broadway VA
We are accepting applications for the position of Head Swimming Coach for the Broadway Sharks Summer Swim League. We are one of six swim teams in the Valley Swim League in Rockingham County. We run an eight week program that begins the day after Memorial Day and runs through the end of July.
The Head Swim Coach will provide personal and social development for swimming skills for children up to age 18. The coach will develop and improve the technical and physical skills of swimming in each participant. This position is responsible for providing a fun and enjoyable environment while orienting youth to competitive swimming.
Applicants for this position must:
* Exhibit enthusiastic leadership.
* Prepare workouts consistent with a Summer League program that are tailored to the variable skills and abilities of swimmers.
* Organize and serve as a lane coach with other coaches in practice.
* Be on deck before swimmers enter the water and throughout the entire practice.
* Maintain a friendly and approachable attitude.
* Establish and maintain respectful and effective working relationships with swimmers, coaches and parents.
* Foster a culture of positive practice and swim meet experiences
* Instruct swimmers on proper swimming form and technique and provide appropriate feedback on performance to help correct mistakes.
* In-depth knowledge of all four competitive strokes, starts and turns.
* Be responsible for coordinating and managing assistant coaches with practice schedule and workout information.
* Ensure that after practices the swimming facility is left as requested and that all pool equipment is stored properly.
* Compile meet entries for weekly swim meets and Champs.
* At least one year coaching experience
* Competitive swimming experience
* Energetic, patient and capable of giving simple instructions
* Demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills
* Lifeguard, CPR, First and Safety certifications or ability to obtain
* Supervisory experience
* Must be available mornings and evenings during the week
* Part Time â€“ approximately 25-30 hours per week
* Background check as required by VSL
Accepting resumes now until April 15, 2015; please submit to the following contact/address: Broadwaysharks@gmail.com
- Your coaches: Do as your coaches direct. They are the boss! Your coaches are striving to help you improve and constant interruption or disruptive behavior is only hurting you and our mission.
- Your practice: listen and understand the process of each swim set or drill. Without purpose most of the practice will offer little improvement. During instructions and while your coaches hand is raised, listen and to listen you must be quiet! Arrive on time to practice and have all needed equipment. Make a promise to yourself to ALWAYS do your best at practice.
- The practice of your teammates: You may understand what is coming up and the task at hand but your teammate may not. Interruptions or conduct that draws attention away from the instruction being given by your coach are unacceptable. Broadway swimmers are all on the same journey and that is to improve so respect your teammateâ€™s practice as much as you respect your own.
- No running on the pool deck.
- No pushing people into the water.
- Only enter the water when told to do so by your coach
- No swimming in the deep end unless supervised and told OK by your coach including being on the diving boards
- No swimmer or any other person may be in the baby pool area during meets or practice
- Feet first entry at all times unless told my your coach to dive
- Follow instruction on how to safely use all equipment (e.g. do not sit on your kickboards)
- Ability to swim 25 m legally
- No foul language
- Swimmers are expected to shake hands with swimmers on either side after each race. This should become a habit.
- After meets, whether home or away, pick up any trash that you see before leaving.
- Remember that you are a member of a team. It is your responsibility to contribute to that team by coming to practices (10 and under strive for 4/week and 11 and over strive for 5 per week). Your team needs EVERY member. It is your responsibility to compete for your team. This includes Champs. THE BROADWAY SHARKS BELIEVE IN COMPETITION! COMPETITION SERVES TO HELP THE INDIVIDUAL REALIZE THEIR GREATEST POTENTIAL. IT IS A CELEBRATION OF SKILL AND EFFORT WHICH HAS BEEN TRAINED AND REWARDED THROUGH PRACTICES AND LEARNING FROM COACHES AND OTHER SWIMMERS. SWIMMERS WHO ADD A BALANCED SCHEDULE OF COMPETITION CONTINUE IN THE SPORT LONGER, CARE MORE ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN PRACTICE AND SUPPORT THE EFFORTS OF THEIR TEAMMATES BETTER.
- If you are going to miss a meet due to vacation or other commitment, sign out by THURSDAY prior to that meet and at least 10 days before Champs.
- At meets, be aware of where we are in the meet. If you need help, make certain an adult is there to help you or ask a coach. Stay within the gated area at all times whether home or away. Coaches are too busy to attempt to locate you during meets for your events.
CONSEQUENCES FOR BREAKING THE EXPECTATIONS:
- You will receive a reminder
- You will be asked to sit out of practice for a period of time
- You will be asked to leave practice for the day
- You will be suspended from practice for a certain amount of days depending on the infraction
- You will be asked to leave the team
- Support your swimmerâ€™s efforts to success
- Promote and model sportsmanlike behavior at all athletic contests
- Assure that your swimmer attends scheduled practices (10 and under at least 4 per week and 11 and over at least 5 per week) and that they compete in ALL scheduled meets.
- Treat ALL coaching staff with dignity and respect
- Be your childâ€™s biggest fan! Support him or her unconditionally!
- Acknowledge your childâ€™s effort as well as his or her other team members!
- Support and root for ALL team members. This fosters teamwork.
- Keep summer swimming in perspective! Summer swimming should be fun for you and your child. Highly skilled children and their parents must be especially careful to maintain a balanced view
- Promote the â€śprocessâ€ť and not only on wins or losses. Strive to beat the clock.
- Model good sportsmanship at all times during practices and competition.
- Let other family members and friends who might attend your childâ€™s meets know what constitutes appropriate and supportive behavior
- Respect for officials and meet personnel (NEVER APPROACH AN OFFICIAL! IF YOU HAVE A QUESITON ABOUT A SWIMMING CALL, PLEASE TALK TO THE HEAD COACH)
- Get involved! Support the program by volunteering in some capacity.
- Do not bribe your child. Remind your child that it is his or her responsibility to the team to participate in practices and meets.
- Encourage your child to practice our dry land drills at home.
- Make certain your child is well rested before competition
- THE BROADWAY SHARKS BELIEVE IN COMPETITION! COMPETITION SERVES TO HELP THE INDIVIDUAL REALIZE THEIR GREATEST POTENTIAL. IT IS A CELEBRATION OF SKILL AND EFFORT WHICH HAS BEEN TRAINED AND REWARDED THROUGH PRACTICES AND LEARNING FROM COACHES AND OTHER SWIMMERS. SWIMMERS WHO ADD A BALANCED SCHEDULE OF COMPETITION CONTINUE IN THE SPORT LONGER, CARE MORE ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN PRACTICE AND SUPPORT THE EFFORTS OF THEIR TEAMMATES BETTER.
- Let the coaches do the coaching for all team members.
- Encourage direct communication. If your child is having difficulties encourage him or her to speak directly to the coaches.
- Remind their swimmers and assist if necessary to sign out of swim meets by the Thursday prior to meet day and for Champs 10 days beforehand.
Communication with Coaches:
- All communication will be with the head coach ONLY. All concerns involving any WET areas of the program will be handled by the head coach. This will hopefully eliminate any miscommunications or misinterpretations of guidelines and rules. If you have a concern, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time to meet. NO concerns will be discussed via e-mail only in face to face meetings and only at a predetermined scheduled time. Please do not approach ANY coaches during practice.
- APPROPRIATE CONCERNS TO DISCUSS:
- Situations involving YOUR child
- Ways to help your child improve
- Your childâ€™s attitude and work ethic
- Concerns about your childâ€™s behavior
- ISSUES THAT ARE NOT APPROPRIATE TO DISCUSS:
- Team strategy, including entries and practice organization
- Other swimmers
We are pleased to announce that we now have aÂ Facebook page! Please request to join the group (it is a closed group) and then once you are signed up, please add any friends that are also associated with the Sharks .Here is the link for the Sharks Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/266781596816702/
Please remember to email Fiona any photographic records you take of the season for inclusion in the potluck slideshow to email@example.com. Please put Sharks in the subject line…
Please do not leave comments on the website for security reasons. If you would like to share information please email Fiona at firstname.lastname@example.org.