5/28 Fun Day in the Park / Sign-ups 10-1
5/31 Evening practices begin
6/13 Morning practices begin / Team T-shirt designs due
6/14 Meet @ Westover
6/17 Last Day to sign up for Sharks / Team t-shirt orders and gear orders due / 2-5-10 Year award info due
6/21 Meet @ Spotswood
6/22 Team Pictures
6/28 Meet @ Home
7/5 Meet @ Home
7/12 Meet @ Home
7/21 Good Luck Potluck
7/23 Champs @ JMU
August Post-Season Pool Party DTBD
If anyone is interested in ordering gear prior to the start of the season so that it will be in hopefully by the first meet, please download the gear form found on this website and mail the form and payment to Fiona Albertson, 220 N SunsetÂ Drive Broadway, VA 22815. Orders will be turned in to the vendor on May 15th, 2016. If you have questions please email Fiona at email@example.com.Team t-shirt designs are due by 6/13 and those orders will be taken through 6/17/16 at the pool.
- Your coaches: Do as your coaches direct. They are the boss! Your coaches are striving to help you improve and constant interruption or disruptive behavior is only hurting you and our mission.
- Your practice: listen and understand the process of each swim set or drill. Without purpose most of the practice will offer little improvement. During instructions and while your coaches hand is raised, listen and to listen you must be quiet! Arrive on time to practice and have all needed equipment. Make a promise to yourself to ALWAYS do your best at practice.
- The practice of your teammates: You may understand what is coming up and the task at hand but your teammate may not. Interruptions or conduct that draws attention away from the instruction being given by your coach are unacceptable. Broadway swimmers are all on the same journey and that is to improve so respect your teammateâ€™s practice as much as you respect your own.
- No running on the pool deck.
- No pushing people into the water.
- Only enter the water when told to do so by your coach
- No swimming in the deep end unless supervised and told OK by your coach including being on the diving boards
- No swimmer or any other person may be in the baby pool area during meets or practice
- Feet first entry at all times unless told my your coach to dive
- Follow instruction on how to safely use all equipment (e.g. do not sit on your kickboards)
- Ability to swim 25 m legally
- No foul language
- Swimmers are expected to shake hands with swimmers on either side after each race. This should become a habit.
- After meets, whether home or away, pick up any trash that you see before leaving.
- Remember that you are a member of a team. It is your responsibility to contribute to that team by coming to practices (10 and under strive for 4/week and 11 and over strive for 5 per week). Your team needs EVERY member. It is your responsibility to compete for your team. This includes Champs. THE BROADWAY SHARKS BELIEVE IN COMPETITION! COMPETITION SERVES TO HELP THE INDIVIDUAL REALIZE THEIR GREATEST POTENTIAL. IT IS A CELEBRATION OF SKILL AND EFFORT WHICH HAS BEEN TRAINED AND REWARDED THROUGH PRACTICES AND LEARNING FROM COACHES AND OTHER SWIMMERS. SWIMMERS WHO ADD A BALANCED SCHEDULE OF COMPETITION CONTINUE IN THE SPORT LONGER, CARE MORE ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN PRACTICE AND SUPPORT THE EFFORTS OF THEIR TEAMMATES BETTER.
- If you are going to miss a meet due to vacation or other commitment, sign out by THURSDAY prior to that meet and at least 10 days before Champs.
- At meets, be aware of where we are in the meet. If you need help, make certain an adult is there to help you or ask a coach. Stay within the gated area at all times whether home or away. Coaches are too busy to attempt to locate you during meets for your events.
CONSEQUENCES FOR BREAKING THE EXPECTATIONS:
- You will receive a reminder
- You will be asked to sit out of practice for a period of time
- You will be asked to leave practice for the day
- You will be suspended from practice for a certain amount of days depending on the infraction
- You will be asked to leave the team
- Support your swimmerâ€™s efforts to success
- Promote and model sportsmanlike behavior at all athletic contests
- Assure that your swimmer attends scheduled practices (10 and under at least 4 per week and 11 and over at least 5 per week) and that they compete in ALL scheduled meets.
- Treat ALL coaching staff with dignity and respect
- Be your childâ€™s biggest fan! Support him or her unconditionally!
- Acknowledge your childâ€™s effort as well as his or her other team members!
- Support and root for ALL team members. This fosters teamwork.
- Keep summer swimming in perspective! Summer swimming should be fun for you and your child. Highly skilled children and their parents must be especially careful to maintain a balanced view
- Promote the â€śprocessâ€ť and not only on wins or losses. Strive to beat the clock.
- Model good sportsmanship at all times during practices and competition.
- Let other family members and friends who might attend your childâ€™s meets know what constitutes appropriate and supportive behavior
- Respect for officials and meet personnel (NEVER APPROACH AN OFFICIAL! IF YOU HAVE A QUESITON ABOUT A SWIMMING CALL, PLEASE TALK TO THE HEAD COACH)
- Get involved! Support the program by volunteering in some capacity.
- Do not bribe your child. Remind your child that it is his or her responsibility to the team to participate in practices and meets.
- Encourage your child to practice our dry land drills at home.
- Make certain your child is well rested before competition
- THE BROADWAY SHARKS BELIEVE IN COMPETITION! COMPETITION SERVES TO HELP THE INDIVIDUAL REALIZE THEIR GREATEST POTENTIAL. IT IS A CELEBRATION OF SKILL AND EFFORT WHICH HAS BEEN TRAINED AND REWARDED THROUGH PRACTICES AND LEARNING FROM COACHES AND OTHER SWIMMERS. SWIMMERS WHO ADD A BALANCED SCHEDULE OF COMPETITION CONTINUE IN THE SPORT LONGER, CARE MORE ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN PRACTICE AND SUPPORT THE EFFORTS OF THEIR TEAMMATES BETTER.
- Let the coaches do the coaching for all team members.
- Encourage direct communication. If your child is having difficulties encourage him or her to speak directly to the coaches.
- Remind their swimmers and assist if necessary to sign out of swim meets by the Thursday prior to meet day and for Champs 10 days beforehand.
Communication with Coaches:
- All communication will be with the head coach ONLY. All concerns involving any WET areas of the program will be handled by the head coach. This will hopefully eliminate any miscommunications or misinterpretations of guidelines and rules. If you have a concern, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time to meet. NO concerns will be discussed via e-mail only in face to face meetings and only at a predetermined scheduled time. Please do not approach ANY coaches during practice.
- APPROPRIATE CONCERNS TO DISCUSS:
- Situations involving YOUR child
- Ways to help your child improve
- Your childâ€™s attitude and work ethic
- Concerns about your childâ€™s behavior
- ISSUES THAT ARE NOT APPROPRIATE TO DISCUSS:
- Team strategy, including entries and practice organization
- Other swimmers
We are pleased to announce that we now have aÂ Facebook page! Please request to join the group (it is a closed group) and then once you are signed up, please add any friends that are also associated with the Sharks .Here is the link for the Sharks Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/266781596816702/
Please remember to email Fiona any photographic records you take of the season for inclusion in the potluck slideshow to email@example.com. Please put Sharks in the subject line…
Please do not leave comments on the website for security reasons. If you would like to share information please email Fiona at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VOLUNTEERS: As with every other sport, the Sharks need volunteers. Positions range from timer to concessions to runners to stroke & turn judges. If you have any interest in any volunteer position, please contact Sharon Armentrout (271-1389, email@example.com) â€“ there will also be sign up sheets at Fun Day and the Ice Cream Social.
CONCESSIONS: At each of our home meets, we will provide concessions. This is an excellent fund raising opportunity for us and keeps the cost of our program to a minimum. This year we will need parent volunteers to cook/serve during the meets, and we are hoping to get LOTS of volunteers â€“ the more folks we have helping out, the less time each will need to work! Also, we will need some food to be donated by parents â€“ the more donations – the more money we have for the kids! We will need the following donations for home meets:
Drinks: Gatorade (20 oz.), Water (16 oz.), Coke Products (cans)
We are well-known for our Taco Salad (my personal favorite!) and we will need the following items donated in order to keep providing it on the menu:
30 pounds of ground beef.
2 – 70 oz containers of Salsa (available at Costco)
1 5 pound bag shredded cheddar cheese (available at Costco)
10 large bags nacho chips
2 – #10 cans (1 gallon) cheddar cheese sauce
Taco seasoning (store brand is fine)
3 bags of salad mix (available at Costco)
Please contact Julie Jones firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know what you are willing to donate. Sign up sheets for concession donations will also be available at Fun Day and the Ice Cream Social.
Directions to Massanutten:
Take 33 East to Resort Drive (Exxon Station on your left).Â Take a left on Resort Drive and follow it to Massanutten Drive.Â Take a left on Massanutten Drive and go thru the Massanutten gate.Â Follow Massanutten Drive 2Â˝ miles.Â Turn right on Peak Drive.Â The miniature golf course will be on your left â€“ just past the golf course is the pool, also on your left.Â Parking is available above the pool.Â See ya there!
Directions to ERRA:
Take I-81 South to Route 33 East (towards the Mall).Â Pass the mall and go to the light at Cross Keys Road (Route 276).Â Turn right at the light.Â Take a right on Shen Lake Road.Â You can see the pool from here â€“ itâ€™s up on the hill on your left.Â See ya Tuesday!
Directions to Ashby:
You have 2 options for getting there:
Option 1: take I-81 exit 240, turn right at end of the exit ramp.Â Proceed thru the light on Route 11 then take right onto Mt. Crawford Ave just past the Bridgewater rescue squad entrance. Pool will be on your left.
Option 2: take route 42 south into Bridgewater, turn left at the 2nd light (Mt. Crawford Ave). Pool will be on your right.
When approaching the pool from Mt. Crawford Avenue, look for a small sign that says â€śAshby Recreation Associationâ€ť.Â It actually looks like you are turning into someoneâ€™s driveway, but the pool is back there!
Directions to Spotswood:
Take I-81 South to Route 33 East (towards the Mall).Â As you pass the mall, take a left on Country Club Lane (at the light at the entrance to Old Navy).Â Take your first right into Spotswood Country Club â€“ then take your first right up toward the pool.Â The pool is up on the hill on your right.
Directions to Westover:
South on 42 to West Market Street. Rt on West Market toÂ South Dogwood Drive. Left on South Dogwood Drive, the pool is located on your right.